Role: Café Assistant Volunteer (The Willows Cafe)
Location: Willow Burn Hospice, Howden Bank, Lanchester
Hours and Times: Minimum of four hours. Days needed: Monday – Friday
Team Leader: Café Co-Ordinator & Cook
The Willows Café is at the heart of the community and is a welcoming safe space for everyone to come and have a hot meal, meet people and find out what is going on in the local community. It is a friendly and bustling meeting place offering home-cooked food to generate income for Willow Burn Hospice.
The cafe is open, Monday to Friday 10:00am – 2:30pm. We serve tasty home cooked food, with a varied menu of breakfasts, lunches, snacks, hot meals and drinks. Monthly theme afternoons have been extremely popular and are always sold out. This all makes it a very varied place to volunteer.
- To provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our customers.
- Assisting the café team in day to day running of the cafe.
- Serving customers promptly, courteously and with a smile.
- To ensure the tables and surrounding area are clean and tidy
- Able to take orders, operate the till and handle the money.
- Learn to prepare drinks and food as required.
- Able to undertake serving food and drinks.
Skills, Experience & Abilities
- Excellent organisational skills
- Willingness to complete Food Hygiene Level 2 and mandatory training
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Team player
- Flexible approach to working
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with a variety of situations
- Self-awareness and able to use initiative
- Good understanding of equality and diversity
Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering comes with a number of benefits:
- Gain confidence
- Make a difference
- Meet people
- Be part of a community
- Learn new skills
- Take on a challenge
- Have fun
Throughout the year, Willow Burn also offers volunteers a number of benefits to say thank you for your dedication and to offer you the opportunity to steer your volunteer journey:
- A monthly volunteer bulletin
- A quarterly Willow Burn Newsletter
- A yearly volunteer survey
- Two annual celebration events
- 10% off in the Willows Café for all volunteers with your ID
- The Volunteer Training Passport
For further information about this role please contact Rachel Todd, Marketing Communications Manager, T: 01207 529 224 or E:firstname.lastname@example.org