Purpose of this Volunteer Role:
To assist in the smooth running of a busy kitchen ensuring good quality, safe food is available for patients, staff and visitors ensuring high standards of hygiene are maintained and individual dietary requirements are catered for when required.
- To help prepare well-presented nutritious meals, meeting any necessary dietary requirements.
- To assist with the clearing and cleaning of crockery and all kitchen utensils.
- Under the guidance of the cook on the day, take food orders and distribute meals to patients rooms.
- Maintain high standards of food service at all times, working in line with the kitchen food safety plan and associate procedures.
- To store goods and treat all goods as per its intended use and manufacturers instruction, ensure stock is rotated and where appropriate checked, washed and labelled.
- Ensure cleaning standards are achieved, the cleaning rota is adhered to and standards or policies imposed by management, EHO or risk assessment are met.
- Follow dress code and/or kitchen person protective equipment requirements..
- Report any fault or hazard immediately.
- Report any illness of an infectious nature and report an incidents in accordance with hospice policy.
- Attend relevant training as and when required.
- Respect the privacy and confidentiality of all patients at all times as per the volunteer hospice confidentiality policy.
- Ensure effective communication with all members of the day care and IPU team to ensure the needs of all patients are the priority at all times.
Person Specification for Kitchen Assistant Volunteer:
- Team player
- Understanding of the need to follow food hygiene regulations
- Ability to carry out tasks to specific standards
- Ability to communicate effectively with people under difficult circumstances.
- Committed to personal training and development
- Ability to prepare basic meals in an effective and timely manor
Capable of working unsupervised
Self-aware and able to use initiative
Good understanding of equality and diversity